Ikebukuro/Nippori Tourist Information
Located in Higashi-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo, this commercial complex is a famous landmark of Ikebukuro. It consists of five buildings, the tallest of which is the Sunshine 60 Building, which houses the “SKY CIRCUS Sunshine 60 Observation Deck” and a restaurant area with a great view. The other buildings also have many popular tourist spots such as the Sunshine Aquarium, Konica Minolta Planetarium “Manten,” Nanja Town, and the Museum of the Ancient Orient, as well as gourmet food and shopping in the specialty store district Arpa.
Tokyo Metropolitan Theater
Opened in 1990 and reopened in 2012, this arts and culture facility is used for a variety of performances including music, theater, opera, musicals, and dance. It has four halls, including the Main Hall with one of the world’s largest pipe organs, the Middle Hall (Playhouse), Theater East, and Theater West, as well as conference rooms and exhibition space. The nearest station is Ikebukuro Station.
Yanaka Ginza Shoppong Street
Yanaka Ginza Shopping District is a local shopping street in downtown Tokyo that retains the good old shitamachi atmosphere. The friendly service, the close rapport between staff and the customer, and the human warmth keep customers coming back. This district is located in an area called Yanesen, which is the connected areas of Yanaka, Nezu and Sendagi. It is so popular that many people come from afar, especially on weekends. There are 70 stores along the 170-meter-long street, mainly older private shops. Not only locals but tourists as well can enjoy traditional Japanese sweets, cakes, crafts, take-out dishes, cafes and so on. Enjoy a stroll along this pleasant street with its charming awnings, signboards and cat-motif street furniture. A five- minute walk from Nippori Station on the JR Yamanote Line, Jouban Line, Keisei Line and Toei Toneri Line.
The ”Nezu Shrine” was built in Gongen-zukuri in 1706. All the buildings from the main hall to the hall of offerings, the hall of worship, the Karamon (a type of gate seen in Japanese architecture), the Nishi-mon (west gate), the Sukibei (lattice-windowed wall) and the two-storied gate still exist today, and they have been designated as National Important Cultural Property. Its history traces back 1900 years ago, when the shrine was (allegedly) established by Yamato Takeru where Sendagi exists now. During the Bunmei era (1469 – 1486) the main building of the shrine was established by Ota Dokan (1432 – 1486) and during the Edo period (1600/1603 – 1868) Tokugawa Tsunayoshi (1646 – 1709) – the fifth shogun – established the main building of the current shrine which he then relocated from Sendagi where the old shrine existed to its current location, also in Sendagi. Also, on the premises is a 6,600 square-meter azalea garden where about 3,000 azaleas of 100 different types bloom in Late Apli (depending on the climate of the year). During this period, street stalls such as Amazake-chaya (traditional Japanese teahouse famous for its Amazake: a traditional Japanese (alcoholic and non-alcoholic available) drink made from fermented rice) and Ueki-ichi (flower market) are lined up at the premises. It is a 5-minute walk from ”Nezu” Station and ”Sendagi” Station of the Metro Chiyoda Line and ”Todaimae” Station of the Metro Namboku Line.